Courting Your Communications
Advisor Perspectives welcomes guest contributions. The views presented here do not necessarily represent those of Advisor Perspectives.
How are your communications like a courtship? In both cases, it’s crucial to proceed in the proper manner, at the proper time. Otherwise, like proposing marriage during a blind date, what might otherwise be a smooth move could flop fast.
There are three questions I often hear from advisors who are embarking on a new communications plan:
- How do we get more traffic on our website?
- How can you help with our blog/social media/white paper/book?
- How much will it cost?
These are great questions … in time. But before you can properly address “how?” make sure you’ve nailed “what?” first.
- What are you trying to achieve – for yourself and for your firm?
- What do your ideal clients look like?
- What makes you uniquely positioned to help them?
Once you’ve clearly defined these business-development basics, it becomes much easier to sort out your true marketing and communication priorities:
- How can you optimize your website to be accessible and useful to your target audiences?
- How can a blog, social media, white paper or book help you achieve your deeper goals?
- How can you best manage the costs of building effective, appropriately tailored communications for your unique needs?